Such a hearty weekend breakfast! Inspired by a local diner that only has this as their one vegan option… (but my version is so much better!) This meal is seriously so filling and tasty, I love hashbrowns though, so I’m biased. You can throw whatever vegetables you want into it, the ones I include are just tried and true favorites of mine for this dish.
Vegan hash brown scramble served with Field Roast maple apple sausage and fresh oranges. The sausage and avocado make this breakfast protein rich and super filling. I add Sriracha to mine because I love everything spicy… like always.
Vegan Hashbrown Scramble:
Frozen shredded hash browns
Onions, chopped or cut into thin pieces
Peppers, cut into thin strips
Seasoned tofu or broken up sausage “meat” (optional)
Garlic powder, 1 tsp
Nutritional yeast, 2 tbsp
Cayenne, 1 tsp (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Cover bottom of pan with oil and heat on medium high. Once the oil is warm, beginning cooking your hash browns from frozen until golden brown, usually about 5 minutes on each side. Season with salt, pepper, garlic, nutritional yeast. (I like mine SUPER crisp!)
2) Begin sautéing onions and peppers in another larger pan while hash browns cook. Heat oil to medium heat, once heated add vegetables and cook until onions are soft, about 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3) If you are cooking with meat/tofu incorporated into the scramble add the “meat” to your pan with the vegetables and allow it to heat and brown, breaking it up as it softens and cooks.
(For a good tofu seasoning, use 1/2 tsp cayenne, 1 tsp garlic powder, salt and pepper, 1 tsp cumin, and 1/2 tsp paprika. Combine the spices with a small amount of water to turn into a sauce and pour sauce over tofu as it cooks.)
4) Toss/break up hash browns over your vegetables (and breakfast meat) and combine them well.
5) Serve scramble topped with a fresh, sliced, ripe avocado and a little bit of Sriracha if you like things spicy!
Processed with VSCO with c1 preset