My veggie fried rice is 6 stars! LOL! I love the unnecessary spice… Super spicy and topped with extra crispy fried tofu is my favorite way to have it. This is one of the first recipes I ever discovered going vegan and it is an absolute staple in our home! It’s one of the easiest and I serve it to my non-vegan friends all the time who always rave about it!
I discovered plum sauce is really delicious in it, but I know this isn’t a common household staple, so feel free to omit it if it’s going to cost you a grocery store run. Before I discovered the plum sauce I made it so many times without with no flavor problems at all. This is definitely a favorite!
Let me know if you try it out!
Vegetable Fried Rice:
Ingredients (serves 3-4):
3 cups rice, cooked (highly recommend cooking cooled rice)
1 1/2 cups broccoli
1 jalapeño, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1/2 of a large onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
Sesame oil, 2-3 tbsp
1/2 block of tofu cut into small squares
1 tbsp plum sauce (optional!)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp cayenne
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional!
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Begin to press tofu by lining a plate with paper towels, placing tofu on plate, covering with more paper towels and placing a weight on top (I use a cast iron skillet). Let it sit for 15 minutes.
2) While tofu is being pressed, cook 1 cup of rice according to package instructions.
3) Add sesame oil (any other oil will work too!) to a wok or large pan and turn the burner to medium heat. Once the oil is heated, toss in the carrots and broccoli.
3) Once broccoli and onion have softened a little bit, 3-4 minutes, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
4) Heat 1/3 cup of oil in a separate deep pan to fry tofu at medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add in the tofu. Allow the tofu to sit for about 4 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom and turn to brown the other side. Once tofu is all golden brown transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to soak excess oil. It will crisp more as it cools.
5) Once rice is cooked and cooled in fridge for one hour, transfer it into veggie wok and make sure the sauce and veggies all mix well. Usually rice turns a brown color.
6) Add tofu into rice, squeeze 1/4 lime per serving.
5) Enjoy 🙂