Before going vegan, I always began every morning with an egg. I was always hesitant to give the tofu scramble option a try, but once I did I didn’t have to miss eggs anymore! I personally like to cook the tofu a little longer that way it gets a little bit crispy, but that’s just me! Don’t feel a need to stick to the veggies/non dairy items I use in this recipe, use whatever vegetables and milk you have available! Sometimes I even throw some veggie sausage in the mix (see bottom photo!). But, I highly recommend going out and finding Himalayan black salt for this recipe, as it really gives your “eggs” that eggy flavor you’ve been misssing!
Try this recipe for a fluffy, spicy, and flavorful tofu scramble that is totally cruelty free! P.S. Don’t forget to press your tofu for 15 minutes before you cook it!
This recipe is so versatile! Some ways it can be used…
Simple, Easy Breakfast
Add potatoes for a heartier breakfast
Served over toast
Tofu Scramble (cook time: 10-12 minutes)
Firm tofu (about half a block)
1/4 cup spinach
1/2 red or orange pepper
1/4 cup tomatoes, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, minced (optional)
Hot sauce (Tabasco is great on eggs!)
1 tbsp olive oil or water
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp black Himalayan salt (for eggy flavor!)
1 tsp cumin (optional)
1 tsp tumeric (optional! But will give it that egg color!)
1-2 tbsp cashew milk
1) Heat olive oil or water over medium heat.
2) Add in onions, tomatoes, peppers, jalapeño and allow to simmer.
3) Put garlic powder, salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric, paprika and black salt in a small bowl. Add just a touch of water, enough to mix spices into a sauce.
4) Press tofu for 15 minutes. I wrap mine in paper towels and place a cast iron skillet on top of it. After it’s pressed, use a fork to mash it into bits for the scramble.
5) Add mashed tofu to the cooking vegetables.
6) Pour water/spice mixture sauce over the top and evenly disperse throughout the tofu. Add 1-2 tbsp of cashew milk while cooking and add in more spices if it is necessary. Add in salt and pepper to taste. Cook until thoroughly heated and milk is cooked out. I use cashew milk and it makes for a fluffier scramble!
7) Serve with hashbrowns and salt/peppered avocado for a delicious breakfast! Or add these into a delicious breakfast burrito instead of eggs.