Sometimes I meal prep this healthy bowl for the week! It’s so easy to make all the ingredients and enjoy it whenever you need a quick and filling meal.
Quinoa (optional), 1 cup
Brown Rice, 1 cup
1 Avocado, diced 🥑
Spinach, 1 cup
1 garlic clove, minced
Veggies of your choice (I sometimes do garlic grilled asparagus and onions, or peppers, jalapeños, and onions) 💕
1 can or ear of corn
1 can black beans (I use Cuban style from Trader Joe’s, such good flavor!)
Salsa of your choice!
Cilantro, 1/4 cup, chopped finely
1 lime, cut into quarters
Protein of your choice, I LOVE the Beyond Meat chicken or taco beef (optional)
*Jalapeno Pepper Hot Sauce (Trader Joe’s) or any hot sauce of your choice
1) Cook rice and quinoa according to packaging. Once rice is cooked, mix in cilantro and 1/2 of a squeezed lime’s juice. This really amps up a boring plate of rice. I often will place the squeezed limes in with the steamy rice while the rest of my food cooks for extra limey flavor.
2) I usually cook the beans and corn together for ease, simply rinse both in a strainer and warm in a small/medium saucepan on medium heat until steaming.
3) Heat up about 2 tbsp of cooking oil in a medium flat pan, once heated toss in garlic to roast for about 1-2 minutes. Toss your veggies into the same pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4) Heat your veggie chicken according to packaging. I usually do mine longer for a blackened effect, but before blackening I make sure to season heavily with cumin, paprika, chili powder, cayenne, garlic powder, pepper, and salt. Usually about a tsp of each, 1/2 tsp of the cayenne.
5) To serve, place brown rice and quinoa at the bottom of bowl. Add fresh spinach on top of the grains. I then place the chicken, corn, veggies, and beans a top and finish it off with a dollop of salsa and a sprinkle of my favorite hot sauce. Squeeze a lime over the top for an extra punch. This recipe would also be delicious with a dressing (a cilantro dressing is delicious!)