We just moved into an apartment and decided to have a housewarming party the second Saturday after we were living here. We really wanted to think of some super easy/cheap snacks to make that would also be delicious to everyone that came, because a lot of our friends are not vegan. Taquitos seemed really easy and universally well-liked so we went for it! We made about 45-50 of these with 15 guests and they were all gone by the end of the night– so, I would argue that it was a successful dish! You don’t need meat for delicious taquitos, guys!
We served these along with guac for dipping, salsa, pico, and 2 types of chips for when we ran out of taquitos but not sauces. The whole night was a Mexican theme! With tequila & sprite or rum & coke served with it. Margaritas would be delicious with these but I am allergic to food coloring so I can’t have the mixer 😦
Small corn tortillas (however many you plan on making, we bought 45)
4 cans of fat free refried beans
1 large onion, minced
1 red pepper, minced
2 jalapeños (optional), minced
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne or 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
salt & pepper to taste
2-3 tbsp of cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Heat oil in a large pan (we did this in 2 batches so feel free to do half now, half later). Once oil is warm add the fresh garlic.
- Let garlic simmer until fragrant; then add onion, red pepper, jalapeños.
- Once onions are transparent, add in the refried beans and mix thoroughly to create the mix for inside of your taquitos.
- Add in your spices (I put extra cumin for a more taco-y flavor).
- For the shells, place a damp paper towel over your tortillas and microwave for about 1 minute so they are malleable (that way the corn tortillas don’t crack!)
- To roll, add about a large spoonful of bean mixture into a tortilla toward the end and roll thinly. I was surprised by how very little of the mix was necessary. (At first I made a few too thick, that’s okay! Just eyeball it until you get it perfected!)
- Place your rolled taquitos onto a greased baking sheet, allowing room between them.
- Spray or brush oil onto the outside of the rolled taquitos (that way they crisp up!)
- Cook them in the oven for about 15 minutes on each side, or until sufficiently crispy! The edges and bottoms will turn a lovely dark, golden brown.